Tuition & Fees

Description of Tuition, Fees, and Charges

Cost of Attendance and Financial Aid Opportunities

Other Fees, Charges, and Expenses

Tuition, Fees, and Charges: Exemptions and Waivers

In Absentia Registration Fee

Academic Common Market

Payment of Tuition, Fees, and Charges

Withdrawal for Non-Payment

Concurrent Enrollment

Residency Regulations

Schedule Adjustments

Dropping Course(s) but Continuing Enrollment

Total Withdrawal from School



Tuition and fees are subject to change by legislative or regental action and become effective on the date enacted. The Texas Legislature does not set the specific amount for any particular student fee. The student fees assessed above are authorized by state statute; however, the specific fee amounts and the determination to increase fees are made by the university administration and The University of Texas System Board of Regents.Visit for current tuition, fees, and charges.

To comply with Senate Bill 1304, passed by the 81st Texas Legislature the University of Texas at Arlington is required to report to each student the amount of tuition paid by the student that must be set aside to provide financial assistance to qualified students. UT Arlington will notify students by email of the set aside amount.

Tuition is charged based on course of study; therefore a precise semester registration total may be calculated by accessing the Registration Cost Estimation site at

The "99 hour rule" refers to the implementation of Senate Bill 961, passed by the Seventy-fifth Legislature. It is the rule that students admitted during the fall semester of 1999 and thereafter who complete more than 99-hours of doctoral level study may be required to pay out-of-state tuition for every subsequent semester. UT Arlington does not to automatically change tuition rates when a doctoral student passes the 99-hour mark. The policy of the University is as follows: Doctoral students who enrolled under the Summer 1999 or subsequent catalogs will be charged non-resident tuition under the following conditions: A doctoral student must pay non-Texas resident tuition beginning the first long semester in which a) the student has been enrolled previously as a graduate student for 14 or more long semesters, AND b) the student has accumulated more than 99 semester credit hours of doctoral study at UT Arlington. Students exceeding both limits will not be eligible for assistantships supported by state funds. Individual exceptions for students exceeding these criteria who are nearing degree completion are considered.

A Designated Tuition discount will be given to students who meet ALL of the requirements published at


Description of Tuition, Fees, and Charges

Tuition, fees, and charges are assessed to students based on semester credit hours (SCH), a set charge per semester, or specific services. They are either required by all students, charged to everyone taking specific courses or anyone receiving specific services, or charged only for voluntary products or services. Refer to and choose Description of Tuition, Fees and Charges.


Cost of Attendance and Financial Aid Opportunities

Cost of attendance equals the estimated cost of books, transportation, living expenses plus tuition and fees. Current estimated cost of attendance and financial aid opportunities available through the Financial Aid Office can be found at Navigate to the Cost of Attendance option under the Financial Aid menu for detailed information.


Other Fees, Charges, and Expenses

International Student Health Insurance

International students are required to purchase The University of Texas at Arlington Student Health Insurance Plan while enrolled at the University. Exceptions to this requirement are:

  • Coverage by the UT Arlington faculty/staff insurance
  • Continuing coverage under a mandatory government-sponsored health plan
  • Continuing coverage under a mandatory employer-sponsored insurance plan

Proof of coverage and benefits provided must be documented and must be comparable to the University-sponsored plan. All policies under the three categories of exceptions must contain at least a $7,500 repatriation benefit and a $10,000 medical evacuation benefit. All policies must meet USIA regulations for those in "J" status. If coverage does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, supplemental policies covering those items will be made available.

Mav Express Card Features and Charges

The Mav Express Card is used for accessing controlled facilities, checking books from the Library, and for cashing checks at Bursar Services. In addition, it is used for on-campus printing privileges, admission to various University activities, and as a form of personal identification.

A student may choose to deposit money on the Mav Express Card. This debit feature is called Mav Money. Students may use Mav Money at Dining Services, Bursar Services, University Center, Student Health Services, vending machines and many other locations on and off campus. Deposits may be made and account activity reviewed online. In addition, a student may link a Mav Express Card to a free Wells Fargo checking account which allows the student to make PIN-based debit transactions.

Each student at UT Arlington is required to pay a $15 Mav Express Card activation charge for each fall, spring, and 11-week summer semester of enrollment. The 5-week summer session, Maymester, and Winter Session are $7 each.

The Mav Express Card is a permanent card. As a student registers for a semester, the card is automatically validated. It is not necessary to obtain an additional Mav Express Card unless the student loses or destroys the card. The replacement charge for a lost or destroyed card is $15.

For additional information, visit or call 817.272.2645

Maverick Parking Garage

The optional parking garage is available at an additional per semester charge, plus gate card deposit. Day and night passes are offered. Passes must be picked up at the garage and are only for parking in the garage. A parking permit must be purchased for parking elsewhere on campus.

Contact the Maverick Parking Garage at 817.272.2370 for specific rates and availability.

Parking Permit Charge

All students who drive to a vehicle on campus need a permit to enter or park legally on campus. Please order your permit online for Decal Request through the registration screen from your student service center on the Web. All students who order their permit before the first day of class will be mailed their permit. The permit will be mailed to their current University mailing address. If students order their permit after the first day of class, they will need to pick up the permit at the University Police Parking Service Office, 1225 W. Mitchell, Suite 112. Hours of business are 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday, with the exception of registration periods. Students picking up dorm or rental property parking permit must show proof of residency if they are not listed as primary resident.

If students withdraw from school any time before classes begin or before the census date, they must bring their permit to the Parking Office to receive a full/partial refund or mail the permit back by certified mail. If the permit is not returned, or if students lose or misplace the permit, a refund cannot be given. Each student will receive only ONE permit per fiscal year. If it becomes necessary to drive a different vehicle, the permit is transferable. However, the permit owner is responsible for all violations accrued by any vehicle that has their permit displayed. Students who terminate their enrollment prior to spring registration and who have paid a vehicle permit fee may receive a partial refund in accordance with the Rules and Regulations booklet provided they return their permit. No refunds on parking permits will be given after the spring census date for students. Ownership of the permit remains with the institution and is not transferable.

Students are responsible for picking up a copy or visiting the Web site for the Rules and Regulations booklet that contains campus parking policies. For additional parking information or hours of extended service during registration, call 817.272.3907 or visit the Web site

Graduation Charges

A graduation application fee must be paid by each doctoral and master’s degree candidate when he/she apples graduation. If graduation is delayed to a subsequent semester, the student must reapply for graduation and graduation fees again. Graduation fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. Students who request that their diplomas be mailed after graduation will also be required to pay the appropriate mailing fee.

Cost of Books

Cost of books depends upon the courses selected. Generally, books for technical subjects are somewhat higher than those for other academic subjects. In certain technical, scientific and fine arts fields, there are extra expenses for equipment and supplies.

The University Bookstore has available both new and used textbooks. The bookstore will purchase used textbooks which are in good condition at any time during the year provided such textbooks continue to be used by the academic departments and if needed by the bookstore.


The Registrar’s Office will mail an official copy of an academic transcript at the written request of a student upon receipt of payment of $7 for each copy requested. When working conditions permit, the office will provide one-day transcript service if requested. An official transcript will not be issued unless all financial obligations to the University have been satisfied.


Tuition, Fees, and Charges: Exemptions and Waivers

State law provides for several exemptions or waivers of tuition, fees, and charges. Students qualified for a reduced rate in any of the exempt categories must have that eligibility certified prior to registration. For a complete description and eligibility requirements, please go to and select Exemptions and Waivers. This website will also provide department contact information and tuition, fees, and charges that are exempt or waived. Additional information may be found in the Texas Education Code.(see


In Absentia Registration Fee

A candidate for a degree who has completed all requirements for graduation by the last date to qualify for in absentia registration (see Graduate School calendars) and who would need to register for coursework for the sole purpose of having a degree conferred may register In Absentia with permission of the Graduate Advisor and the Dean of Graduate Studies. To obtain permission, the student must file a Request to Register In Absentia. A student who is approved for In Absentia may not enroll for courses. The student must also pay the appropriate In Absentia fee. No refund is made for the cancellation of In Absentia registration. In addition to paying the cost of In Absentia registration, the candidate must file an application for graduation and pay the appropriate graduation fees.


Academic Common Market

The Academic Common Market is an interstate agreement for sharing academic programs through an exchange of students across state lines. Fifteen southern states take part in the Academic Common Market. Texas, Florida and North Carolina participate at the graduate level only. Selected out-of-state programs that are not offered in a student’s home state can be accessed through the Academic Common Market at in-state tuition rates.

For information on the graduate programs at The University of Texas at Arlington that are available through the Academic Common Market and the states that have access to those programs, contact the Graduate School or the Academic Common Market coordinator in the home state.

Further information on the Academic Common Market may be obtained from the Texas State Coordinator for the Academic Common Market: Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, P.O. Box 12788, Austin, Texas, 78711. Phone: 512-427-6525. E-mail:


Payment of Tuition, Fees, and Charges

Please go to for information on due dates, deadlines, detailed penalties and refunds.


Withdrawal for Non-Payment

Please go to and select Withdrawal for Non-Payment for current detailed information.

Payment Options

Please go to and select Payment Information for current detailed information.

  • Installment Plan: A student is activated on the Installment Plan by agreeing to the Registrant’s Responsibilies and by paying one third (1/3) of the current term balance. Additionally, if your tuition, fees, and charges increase for any reason, such as residency status changes or schedule adjustments, the new higher total will be divided into the remaining payment. The service charge for choosing this option is $10 for each additional billing (max $20 per term). By using the Installment Plan, you will not be eligible for a Designated Tuition discount. Visit and select Installment Plan for more information.

Note: The following quotation from Texas Education Code 54.007 applies to installment payments due: "A student who fails to make full payment of tuition and fees, including any incidental fees, by the due date may be prohibited from registering for classes until full payment is made. A student who fails to make payment prior to the end of the semester may be denied credit for the work done that semester."

  • Financial Aid: Please read the Financial Aid section of this catalog or visit for information.
  • Enrollment Loans: Loans are offered only if funds are available and the borrower meets underwriting requirements published at Please visit this website for specific information.
  • Third Party Billing: Sponsored Student Information can be found at

Questions may be directed to Bursar Services, 817.272.2172. Detailed student account information may not be released to anyone other than the student without the student’s written permission in Bursar Services.

Payment Methods and Locations

The University accepts cash, checks, traveler’s checks, money orders, wires, and the following credit cards: MasterCard, Visa, Discover, Diner’s Club, and American Express. Any form of payment that is returned unpaid can result in enrollment withdrawal and additional penalties.

  • Online: Pay by credit card or electronic bank draft/ACH transfer from your checking or savings account at
  • 24-Hour Drop Box: Check or money order payments may be placed in the secure drop box located in the North 1st floor entrance to E.E. Davis Hall. Please include your 10-digit student ID number. Do not deposit cash or traveler’s checks in the drop box.
  • In Person: Payments can be made in person at Bursar Services, Room 130, E.E. Davis Hall.
  • Mail: Please include your 10-digit student ID number and do not mail cash or traveler’s checks. Check or money order payments can be mailed to:

    UT Arlington Bursar Services

    P.O. Box 19649

    Arlington, TX 76019-0649

  • Traveler’s Check: Traveler’s checks must be signed in the presence of a cashier and should be presented in person at the Bursar’s window during their regular business hours.
  • International Wires: Demand drafts and international checks are held for 60 days before refunds can be issued. The use of wires is recommended to expedite refunds.
  • Kiosks: Payments can be made at kiosks across campus using credit cards, debit cards, and checking or savings accounts.


Concurrent Enrollment

Cooperative Programs Between University of Texas System Components

A student concurrently enrolling at two or more University of Texas System components and participating in a joint cooperative program may register and pay tuition, fees, and charges for all courses through the student’s home institution.The concurrent enrollment agreement and waiver of specified fees and charges applies only to students following the concurrent enrollment procedures specified by the registrar of the home institution. Detailed procedures may be obtained from the registrar of the student’s home institution. UT Arlington students will find additional information by going to and selecting Concurrent Enrollment. The concurrent enrollment agreement and waiver of specified fees and charges applies only to students following the concurrent enrollment procedures specified by the registrar of the home institution. Applicable tuition, fees and charges will be assessed and collected at the home institution for the other institution(s). The charges for the following will be assessed and collected at the home institution for the other institution(s):

  • Flat rate Tuition at an appropriate rate
  • Applicable laboratory fees and special course charges
  • Enhanced Designated Tuition
  • Any other fees and charges that are required at the host institution that are not charged at the home institution

Student services at the second institution will be made available to concurrently enrolled students paying the appropriate student service fees at the second institution. Some institutions have a reciprocal agreement for honoring parking permits. Details may be obtained from the police departments on each campus. Concurrently enrolled students should report any problems concerning registration, payment of tuition, fees, and charges or other matters related to concurrent enrollment procedures to the registrar of the home institution.

Concurrent students wishing to add or drop courses must do so in compliance with the host institution’s policy. On or before the host institution’s Census Date, adds or drops may be done through the home institution’s registrar. After the Census Date, drops must be done at the host institution.

It is the student’s responsibility to contact Bursar Services, Rm. 130, Davis Hall, 817.272.2172, each semester prior to the payment deadline date to confirm that an authorization has been received and is sufficient to secure the current term registration.


Residency Regulations

Resident classifications are determined in accordance with Title 19, Chapter 21, Subchapter B of the Texas Administrative Code and the rules of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board for determining residence status. Except as specifically provided by law, an individual classified as a non-resident student must pay tuition, fees, and charges required of non-resident students. Students may access the Coordinating Board’s rules at and then viewing Subchapter B.

To be considered a Texas Resident a person must establish a domicile in Texas not later than one year before the census date of the academic term in which the person is enrolled in an institution of higher education, and maintain that domicile continuously for the year preceding the census date. Generally, a person enrolling in an institution of higher education prior to having established a domicile in Texas for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the census date will be classified as a nonresident student.

Additionally, a person is eligible to be classified as a Texas Resident if the person: maintained a domicile in Texas for at least 36 months prior to graduation from a Texas high school or receipt of the equivalent to a Texas high school diploma, graduated from a Texas high school or received the equivalent of a Texas high school diploma, and maintained a residence in Texas for the 12 months preceding the census date at an institution of higher education. The domicile of a dependent’s parents is presumed to be the domicile of the dependent unless the dependent meets all the requirements of this paragraph.

If while attending an institution of higher education a person classified as a nonresident meets the requirements to domicile in Texas, the nonresident student may reclassify as a Texas Resident if business and personal facts or actions are unequivocally indicative of a fixed intention to domicile permanently in Texas. A nonresident classification is presumed to be correct as long as the residence of the individual in Texas is primarily for the purpose of attending an educational institution. Students wishing to reclassify will need to complete a set of the Core Residency Questions ( and turn them into the Graduate Admissions Office with supporting documentation.

Generally, a student attending The University of Texas at Arlington who is not classified as a Texas Resident will be charged nonresident tuition. Certain nonresident students, however, are entitled to pay tuition and other fees at the Texas Resident rate. For example, military personnel assigned to duty in Texas, and their spouses and dependent children, are entitled to pay the same tuition as a Texas resident if certain documentation is provided (see Texas Education Code, Section 54.058, for details and other residency benefits that are extended to military personnel and their families). Similarly, students who hold a competitive academic scholarship of $1,000 per year or more awarded through The University of Texas at Arlington are entitled to pay resident fees and charges. Other exceptions to the requirement that nonresident students pay nonresident tuition, fees, and charges are included in the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board rules for determining residence status.

The responsibility of registering under and maintaining the proper residence classification rests on the student. If there is any question concerning the student’s classification at the time of registration, or any time thereafter, it is the student’s obligation to consult with the residence advisor in the Graduate School and have the student’s classification officially determined. All requests for reclassification should be submitted to the Graduate School at least 30 days prior to the census date of the term in question. Residency appeals are made to the Residency Appeals Committee. Decisions of the committee are final.


Schedule Adjustments

All adds, drops and other registration adjustments through the term will cause an immediate, automatic fee recalculation.


Dropping Course(s) but Continuing Enrollment

Students who remain enrolled in at least one course will be refunded in full for any course dropped by the 12th class day. If a course is dropped after the 12th day of class, the student is financially responsible for the full cost of the course.


Total Withdrawal from School

A student who officially withdraws from a term (drops all hours of a specific term) will receive a refund according to the schedule below.

  1. A student who withdraws prior to the first official university class day will receive a 100 percent refund.
  2. If the foregoing condition is not met, then the refund shall be as shown below. Class days noted are official University class days based on the term’s long session start date. They are not the individual student’s class meeting days.
    1. During class days 1 through 5 - 80%
    2. During class days 6 through 10 - 70%
    3. During class days 11 through 15 - 50%
    4. During class days 16 through 20 - 25%
    5. After 20th class day - no refund
    6. Further details and precise dates are available at
    7. Parking refunds must be applied for separately at the Parking Office, 1225 W. Mitchell.

Disbursement of Refunds

If a student receiving financial assistance withdraws (resigns) from all courses at the University of Texas at Arlington, then UT Arlington and/or the student may be required to return some of the federal, state, and/or institutional funds awarded to the student. These funds would be returned to the grant, scholarship, or loan fund from which the assistance was received.

The federal Return of Title IV Funds policy requires that a portion of federal aid be returned if the student withdraws on or before completing 60% of the semester for which student received federal aid. Students receiving all grades of F or a combination of all Fs and Ws are subject to the Return of Title IV Funds Calculation. Federal financial aid includes the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG), Federal SMART Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), LEAP Grant (formerly SSIG), Federal TEACH Grant, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Stafford Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized), and the Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS).

Depending on the types and amounts of aid received, UT Arlington may be required to return a certain portion of funds, and the student may be required to repay a portion of the funds. If the student owes a repayment of grant funds as a result of the calculation, he/she cannot receive future federal financial aid funds at any school until repayment has been made. Any federal loan amount owed by the student is to be repaid under the terms of the promissory note. The student may owe an outstanding balance to UT Arlington once we return funds required through the federal Return of Title IV Funds calculation. Complete details of the policy can be found at www.uta/fao, click Financial Aid on the left menu, then Return of Funds Policy. Contact the Office of Financial Aid for additional information.



Current detailed information is available at Select Refunds (Withdrawals and Drops). UT Arlington recommends the use of Direct Deposit for receiving refunds. Inquiries concerning refunds should be directed to Bursar Services, Room 130, Davis Hall, 817.272.2172.