Note: This Catalog was published in July 2009 and supersedes the 2008-2009 Catalog.

Student Services and Financial Aid

Health Services
Counseling Services
Assessment Services
Career Services
International Office
Office of Multicultural Services
Disabled Student Services
Department of Campus Recreation
Bursar Services
Center for Community Service Learning
Student Financial Aid
Student Conduct and Discipline
Campus Solicitations
Use of Campus Facilities
Vehicle Emissions Inspections
Student Travel Policy
University Authorized Absences
Student Right-to-Know and Campus Security Act


210 University Center | Box 19349 | 817.272.2791

The University owns and operates residence halls, apartments, and houses for UT Arlington students. Residence hall features vary by community. However, all residence hall students enjoy a double or private room on campus that includes Internet, cable TV, and metro phone service, and staff who live on site. Nineteen on-campus apartment communities and 19 houses are available to students as well. For more information about University-owned and managed housing, call 817.272.2791 or visit Online applications are available on the Web site as well.

Centennial Court, a privately-owned, apartment-style community for UT Arlington students, is also located on the UT Arlington campus. Call 817-436-4800 for more information about Centennial Court.

Health Services

605 S. West Street | Box 19329 | 817.272.2771

UT Arlington Health Services is an on-campus, out-patient facility whose mission is to provide quality, patient-centered health care and promote healthy lifestyles in an accessible, cost-effective manner with respect and compassion.

The UT Arlington Health Center is staffed and equipped to care for most routine health needs. Visits to medical clinic providers are free of charge. A reasonable fee is assessed for services such as medications, x-rays, laboratory tests, women’s clinic, and mental health services. Financial support for the Health Center is obtained from student tuition and collections.

Health services are available for all enrolled, fee-paying students. Students who choose not to enroll for a semester but who plan to enroll the following semester must check with the administrative office on eligibility for care. Student employees, such as GTAs, GRAs, TAs, and RAs, may utilize Health Services as students and therefore not pay a fee. Faculty/staff may receive treatment at Health Services for urgent care and other selected services by appointment (817.272.2713) on a fee-for-service basis. Student employees and faculty/staff should ask whether Health Services accepts their UT Arlington employee insurance plan and bring appropriate proof of insurance coverage to their visit.

Staffing:The Health Center staff includes a full-time physician, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, pharmacists, laboratory and x-ray technologists, clinical psychologists, a substance abuse specialist, a health promotion specialist, and support personnel. Health care is available at the Health Center during those times when the University is open. Services are not available during scheduled University holidays. During periods of closure, medical care received from another source will be the patient’s financial responsibility.

Services Available

General Medicine: Students with common medical problems are diagnosed and treated on an appointment (817.272.2771) basis. Elective minor surgical procedures such as removal of cysts, moles, and warts, are available. Appointments are required for both the iniČtial evaluation and surgery.

Allergy-Antigen Injections: If patients wish to receive allergy-antigen injections at Health Services, their allergist should mail the antigen along with details of the allergies and proposed treatment program to Health Services for reference.

Women's Clinic: Health Services diagnoses and treats most diseases of the female reproductive organs. Consultations, contraceptive advice, routine Pap smears, diagnostic tests for sexually-transmitted diseases (STDs), and breast examinations are performed by appointment (817.272.2771).

Mental Health: Psychological and psychiatric assessment and treatment are available to students and faculty/staff by appointment (817.272.2713). Referrals to health agencies or other professionals are made when indicated. Laboratory: The laboratory is equipped to perform all routine determinations. For more sophisticated procedures, specimens are obtained and sent to a reference laboratory for testing.

Laboratory: The laboratory is equipped to perform all routine tests. For more sophisticated procedures, specimens are obtained and sent to a reference laboratory for testing.

Pharmacy: The pharmacy dispenses reduced-cost medications and provides medication counseling to students and faculty/staff. The pharmacy accepts the UT System student health insurance and the faculty/staff prescription plan. Health Services will dispense prescriptions from any licensed physician as long as the medication is in its formulary.

X-ray: Health Services performs all routine radiographic studies. After an initial reading by an Health Services physician, the films are sent to a radiologist for final interpretation. Medical Records: Since medical records are protected under patient/physician confidentiality provisions, these records will not be released to anyone without written authorization from the patient or as provided by law (see the "HIPAA Privacy Act" on our Web site).

Medical Records: Since medical records are protected under patient/physician confidentiality provisions, only the patient has access to their records. Records will not be released to anyone without written authorization from the patient or as provided by law.

HIV/AIDS: Education and information on HIV/AIDS is available at no charge and may be given in a one-on-one setting or to campus groups. Testing is available for a small laboratory fee and requires pre- and post-test counseling appointments. Clients are referred to appropriate off-campus facilities, if needed. The UT Arlington brochure, “Policy and Guidelines on Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection (HIV) and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) and Hepatitis C Virus (HCV)” is available at Health Services.

Bacterial Meningitis: Meningitis, a rare but potentially fatal bacterial infection that affects the brain and spinal cord, strikes about 3,000 Americans each year. Information about meningitis and its symptoms is available on the Health Services Web site and in the printed Schedule of Classes.

Substance Abuse Prevention: Health Services houses the Office of Substance Abuse Prevention, which is available to assist students and faculty/staff to make appropriate decisions regarding the use of alcohol and other drugs. This office also provides educational programs and materials concerning alcohol, drugs, sexual health, nutrition, wellness and other health-related topics. The University Policy statement, “Illicit Drugs and Alcohol Abuse,” is available at Health Services.

Peer Education: This three-hour elective course provides students with education and information on a broad range of health and wellness issues. Peer Educators sponsor awareness events and conduct tailored presentations for various groups throughout the year.

Education: In the spirit of this educational community, it is hoped that students will also use Health Services as a resource for information on health-related issues and preventive medicine.

Patient Rights: Health Services recognizes its responsibility to ensure that every patient, regardless of sex, race, age, beliefs or handicap has the right to be treated with respect, consideration and confidentiality. Patients should take the initiative to communicate their concerns and questions about problems related to their health condition or medication, unclear procedures and previous health history. Patients have the right to seek a second medical opinion, to change primary or specialty physicians, and to be informed of and refuse to participate in experimental research.

Transportation: Health Services is an out-patient facility, and, as such, provides only ambulatory medical services. Patients are responsible for their own transportation to Health Services . For true emergencies, or when the seriousness of the patient's condition is uncertain, call the University police at 817.272.3003. The police will dispatch officers to the site, and call an ambulance, if needed. These officers are trained in CPR and first aid and can stabilize the patient until an ambulance arrives. This procedure should be followed even when Health Services is open.

Indebtedness: It is the student's responsibility to satisfy indebtedness to Health Services with reasonable promptness. Upon payment, receipts will be issued that can be used for submitting claims to personal insurance companies.

Health Insurance: Health Services is not equipped to perform the more extensive diagnostic procedures and services such as those offered by a general hospital. Therefore, all UT Arlington students are strongly urged to have adequate health insurance coverage. Students on non-immigrant visas are required to carry health insurance and must show proof of coverage at the time of registration. An optional system-wide Student Health Insurance Plan is available through an insurance carrier by contract with the University. For more information about the Student Health Insurance Plan, contact Health Services at 817.272.2771. Insurance brochures and applications are available online at

Blood Reserve Fund Plan: In cooperation with Carter BloodCare, UT Arlington sponsors a blood reserve fund plan for students and faculty/staff. To participate in the reserve fund, members are requested to donate regularly during semiannual blood drives held on campus. The release of blood credits is coordinated through Health Services.

Counseling Services

216 Davis Hall | Box 19156 | 817.272.3671

Counseling Services is available to help students grow as whole individuals. UT Arlington counselors assist students in

Students may meet one-on-one with counselors, attend workshops or meet in groups. Services are available to enrolled UT Arlington students at no charge. Workshop topics vary by semester and may include Enhancing Self-Esteem, Stress Management, Relaxation Training, Healthy Relationships, Anger Management, Time Management, Improving Your Study Skills and Career Exploration. Group counseling themes include General Group Counseling, Advanced Relaxation Techniques, Assertiveness Skills Training and Career Exploration. Career assessments and workshops are available to help students gain greater awareness of their interests, values, personality, skills and abilities. A career library with computerized career assessments, books, magazines and other materials is available to help students conduct career-related research. You can access these services by scheduling an appointment with a counselor. Schedule an appointment by contacting Counseling Services at 817.272.3671. The Counseling Office is open 8 a.m.-7 p.m. every Monday and Thursday and 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. For more information, visit

Personal Counseling

Developing new life skills and perspectives, dealing with extraordinary life events, making personal decisions, and getting help with issues related to difficulties in adjustment, emotions, and interpersonal relationships.

Academic Counseling

Individual sessions and group seminars are available to address a wide variety of issues including academic skill building, reading improvement, test-taking strategies, study skills improvement, and time management. At times, we use the Learning and Study Skills Strategies Inventory (LASSI) as a way to assess your use of learning and study strategies.

Career Development

Individual counseling is available to assist students in the exploration of their interests, abilities, career-related skills, work values, career preparation, resume preparation, and job searches. Students are often encouraged to take the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and the Strong Interest Inventory as ways of assessing personality characteristics and interests that may suggest suitable career directions. Choices is a computer program that students can use to gather information about many majors, schools, and occupations.

Assessment Services

201 Davis Hall | Box 19156 | 817.272.2362

The following tests are given on national test dates: Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Subject Test and Writing Assessment, Law School Admission Test (LSAT) and the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). The Miller Analogies Test is scheduled once per month. Specialized tests of aptitudes, interests and abilities are also given in conjunction with Counseling Services.

Career Services

Career Services assists students and alumni in finding full- or part-time, internship and co-op employment opportunities. Services provided include career development workshops, job listings, résumé referral, on-campus employment interviews, career days and information on careers, employers and job search techniques.

Career Services has three offices across campus to better serve UT Arlington students and employers.

Career Services Locations

University Career Services: Room 216, Davis Hall, 817.272.2932
Business Career Services: Room 106, Business Bldg., 817.272.5201
Student Employment Services: Room 140l, University Center, 817.272.2895

Center for Community Service Learning

B18 Davis Hall | Box 19124 | 817.272.2124
UT Arlington and the Center for Community Service Learning believe in the role of higher education in preparing students for life in a democratic, civilized society and in educating students who will become engaged citizens and serve their community. Since its founding in fall 2001, the Center for Community Service Learning has been providing service-learning opportunities to students and faculty at UT Arlington.

The center (1) develops and supports opportunities for students and faculty to integrate academic study with community service; (2) helps faculty and students with service-learning placements, faculty development, curriculum development and assessment; (3) houses a service-learning resource library and a database of community agencies; and (4) administers faculty development grants, faculty and student service-learning awards and student service scholarships. Contact: Dr. Shirley Theriot, director,, 817.272.2124, or Sharon Hughlett at

The Office of International Education

Swift Center, 1022 UTA Blvd | Box 19028 | 817.272.2355

The Office of International Education (OIE) serves as general coordinator of the University’s international contacts and programs, and seeks to promote, support and assist international activities throughout the University. The OIE serves more than 2,500 students and 100 scholars in non-immigrant status, U.S. students wishing to study abroad, and academic units who hire non-immigrant faculty and researchers.

The Student and Scholar Services area provides programs, consultation and documentation in the area of immigration and federal regulations. International students may take advantage of counseling on personal, academic, and financial issues through one-on-one sessions or through activities such as international student discussion groups, special workshops on immigration and other topics of interest. The International Programs area plans, organizes, and facilitates mandatory orientations for new international students, an international student discussion group, a friendship program, an international spouse club, an international coffee hour for the UT Arlington community, and workshops of interest to students. The tradition of International Week in the spring is facilitated through the International Student Organization.

The Study Abroad office offers opportunities for credit-bearing study through exchange programs in a number of different countries. Language and cultural studies can earn resident credit undertaken on faculty-led and affiliated programs in more than 40 countries. Students interested in study abroad opportunities, scholarship, travel and work opportunities abroad will find information at the OIE in Swift Center or by visiting

Student Legal Services

Lower Level, University Center | Box 19355 | 817.272.3771 |
A licensed attorney is employed by the University and available to advise and consult with all currently enrolled students who have paid the Student Service Fee. The attorney may advise the student regarding personal legal problems and concerns.

Areas frequently discussed with the attorney include landlord-tenant disputes, family law matters, contractual controversies, consumer protection questions, traffic accidents and minor criminal matters. Concerns regarding other legal matters may require additional research or referral, at the discretion of the attorney. Academic matters and other problems or concerns involving UT Arlington are addressed in various policies and procedures. Therefore, the attorney may not represent the student in any legal or administrative proceedings or offer advice pertaining to any legal topic involving the University or another enrolled student.

Students must bring their Mav Express card to the appointment for verification of current enrollment.

Testing Services

201 Davis Hall | 817.272.2362 |

The Testing Services Office provides information to help students identify tests they may need to take for graduate admission or demonstrating proficiency in English.

The Testing Services Office has information on the following tests:

For more information access or call 817.272.2362.

YWCA Child Development Center

106 W. 6th St. (corner of 6th and Speer) | 817.272.1135
The YWCA Child Development Center is operated by the YWCA of Fort Worth and Tarrant County and offers full-time infant, toddler and preschool child care. Part-time care can be scheduled for children of UT Arlington students. The center is open from 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sliding scale fees are available for children of UT Arlington students. The center is accredited by NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children). For enrollment information, call 817-272-1135.

Multicultural Affairs

Lower Level, University Center | Box 19353 | 817.272.2099
Multicultural Services

Mission Statement: The mission of Multicultural Affairs is to encourage, foster and support an academic, social and cultural atmosphere conducive to the needs of all students. While advocating cultural diversity and diversity of opinion, Multicultural Affairs embraces individuals from all backgrounds and provides cultural programming, diversity training, recruitment initiatives, and retention strategies to create an environment of academic success and cultural awareness, empowering students with the skills necessary to establish a solid foundation as they prepare to leave The University of Texas at Arlington. To accomplish this mission, Multicultural Affairs provides opportunities to attend cultural programming, seminars, and leadership training. By completing our mission objectives, we enhance the academic and the social skills necessary to become successful members of society.

The motto is “Empower the Leader, Strengthen the Community!”

Multicultural Affairs is composed of two complementary units: Multicultural Affairs and Multicultural Outreach. Together they offer cultural appreciation activities, diversity training workshops, leadership development aimed at creating an environment of academic success and cultural awareness. Rich cultural diversity is reflected in the number and variety of cultural student organizations on campus. Visit the Web site to get connected to more than 30 multicultural student groups that include culturally based, service based, fraternity and sorority, LGBT, dance/performance groups, and spiritually based organizations. As part of the mission of developing leaders prepared to be successful for a global society, the entire campus community is encouraged to take advantage of the services

All UT Arlington students are encouraged to attend the variety of programs. Activities include guest speakers, special performances, conferences, leadership training. Be sure to enjoy events for:

The office hours are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. For more information, contact the Office of Multicultural Affairs, at 817.272.2099 or visit

Office of Information Technology (OIT)

B51 Davis Hall | Box 19318 | 817.272.2271 |

The Office of Information Technology is composed of a diverse group of people working to meet the technological needs of the UT Arlington campus community. OIT provides high-speed data network and computing resources for campus-wide instructional and research activities, as well as University business operations. Computing resources provided by OIT include 10 student computer labs, accounts on multi-user systems that provide access to a web-based file management and file sharing utility called MavSpace, a personal directory on a campus server, compilers, programming tools, e-mail, online documentation, and Internet access and online student services. In-house IT professionals are available to provide assistance to students, faculty and staff.

OIT’s 10 on-campus computer labs are strategically located throughout the campus to provide computer resources for all students. Labs are located within the Architecture Building, Business Building, Central Library (three facilities), Engineering Laboratory Building, Fine Arts Building, Nedderman Hall, Ransom Hall and University Hall. All of the facilities are networked and provide access to both UT Arlington systems and the Internet. These facilities allow students laser printing; several feature color printing, scanning, and classroom facilities. The premier facility, Ransom Hall, is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This three-story computing facility offers PCs running Microsoft Windows and Apple MacOS. Ransom Hall also features numerous multimedia and networked computer classrooms for teaching purposes.

OIT supports multi-user large centralized as well as distributed client/server computing resources. The large centralized resources consist of:

The distributed client/server environment supports thousands of computers located on the desktops of UT Arlington’s faculty and staff offices as well as in the student computer labs. Distributed client/server resources consist of many IBM Netfinity and Dell Power Edge servers running Microsoft Windows to serve as Exchange, SQL, SMS, and print/file servers. Together, these servers support the University’s e-mail, desktop productivity and departmental applications.

OIT provides a high-speed data network within the UT Arlington campus as well as interconnections to major regional, national and international networks (e.g., Internet, Internet2, THEnet, LEARN, NLR, etc.). Wireless network access is available throughout the public areas of the campus, including central public areas of the five UT Arlington residence halls.

OIT supports the enterprise administrative systems utilized by academic and administrative departments across campus, such as Graduate and Undergraduate Recruiting and Admissions, Academic Advising, Registrar, Student Records, Financial Aid, Student Financials, Graduate School, Police and Bursar. All students, and most faculty and staff, will interact with the enterprise administrative systems through the use of the new MyMav system, a fully functional, totally integrated Web-based system available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Additional information about OIT’s computers, network and student computing facilities, as well as access to documentation and staff consultants is available at the Computing Services Help Desk on the first floor of the Central Library (817.272.2208,, All OIT labs and resources are available to current UT Arlington students, faculty and staff.

Disability Services (Office for Students with Disabilities)

University Hall, Room 102 | Box 19510 | 817.272.3364 | TTY 800.RELAY TX

The Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) at UT Arlington is charged with ensuring full inclusion of students with disabilities in all programs and activities offered at UT Arlington. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, OSD verifies all physical and cognitive disabilities in order to specify the appropriate disability-specific accommodations that will assist students in successfully completing their academic objectives. All UT Arlington students with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact OSD at 817.272.3364 (voice) or 800.RELAY TX (TDD) or they may visit the office in 102 University Hall, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Any academic accommodations relating to a disabling condition must originate with the Office for Students with Disabilities. For more information regarding services or documentation requirements, please visit

Department of Campus Recreation

500 W. Nedderman Drive |Box 19268 | 817.272.3277

The Department of Campus Recreation provides a diverse offering of recreational and leisure experiences for students. More than 80 activities in competitive and recreational areas, team, individual and co-recreational, are scheduled throughout the year. The Campus Recreation office is located in Room 100 of the Maverick Activities Center (MAC); the phone number is 817.272.3277. Visit the Web site at for more information on any of the programs listed.

The Department of Campus Recreation is comprised of five areas:

Bursar Services

Rm. 130 Davis Hall | Box 19649 | 817.272.2172
Bursar Services

Any form of payment (Check, ACH, or Credit Card) that is returned unpaid can result in enrollment withdrawal and the following additional penalties:

Check Cashing: A current University identification card and a driver's license are required to cash a personal check. A student may cash a personal check for an amount not to exceed $25. A $0.25 Check Cashing Charge will apply.

MavMail and MavMail Newsletter

Every student at UT Arlington is issued a University e-mail account. Students are expected to regularly check their University e-mail account and UT Arlington considers e-mail an official means of communication. Various offices and faculty members may conduct official business via the UT Arlington e-mail account.

In addition to providing students with an e-mail account, UT Arlington sends a weekly newsletter called MavMail to each student’s e-mail account. The MavMail newsletter lists campus events, important deadlines, and news related to the campus. Students are expected to read this newsletter.

If you have a question related to the University and do not know where to direct the question, you may contact MavMail. MavMail is designed to provide answers to questions, direct inquirers to the appropriate office(s), and forward suggestions or compliments to the correct individuals or offices. Staff members in the Office of the Provost provide responses after contacting appropriate individuals to gain answers to the questions posed.

Police Department

University Police Building, 700 S. Davis

Financial Aid

252 Davis Hall | Box 19199 | 817.272.3561

The following summaries are for informational purposes only. Current information on each program is available from the Financial Aid Office and by accessing the Financial Aid Web site.

Students subject to selective service registration will be required to file a statement that the student has registered or is exempt from selective service registration to be eligible to apply for state or federal financial aid.

Assistance Based on Need

Students wishing to participate in any of the following financial aid programs should complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as early as possible prior to their actual enrollment at the University. The funding process takes approximately four weeks for completion. Financial aid in these categories is generally limited to U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Funding for graduate courses is only available to students admitted to the Graduate School as "Regular" students. "Special" and "Transient" students are not eligible for these programs.

Grant Assistance

Grant funding is available for graduate students through the Texas Public Education Grant (TPEG) and the Mav Grant. Grants are funds that normally do not require repayment. Recipients must have demonstrated financial need as verified through the completion of the FAFSA, and meet the published priority financial aid application deadline. TPEG funds are available to international students. Please contact the Financial Aid Office to complete an International TPEG form.

Graduate Loan Programs

The Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Stafford Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized), and College Access Loan (CAL) are the primary sources of long-term loans available at UT Arlington. These programs include deferred repayment provisions that permit students to repay the loan after termination of at least half-time studies at the University. Interest will not accrue on the loans while the borrowers are enrolled on at least a half-time basis. Information regarding loan amounts and terms can be obtained from the Financial Aid Office.

Federal Perkins Loan and Federal Stafford Loan

These are the primary sources of long-term loans available at UT Arlington. Both programs include deferred repayment provisions that permit students to repay the loan after termination of at least half-time studies at the University. For those students demonstrating financial need, interest will not accrue on the loans while the borrowers are enrolled on at least a half-time basis. Information regarding loan amounts and terms can be obtained from the Financial Aid Office.

Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan and Graduate PLUS Loan

These loans are available to graduate students who do not necessarily demonstrate financial need. Interest on these loans accrues while the recipient is in school but repayment may be deferred on both interest and principle until the student is no longer enrolled at least half time. The Graduate PLUS loan is a credit based loan that is available to graduate students who have financial aid eligibility beyond what may be met through other types of financial aid including the Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans combined.

Federal Work-Study Program

A student who needs a job to help pay for college expenses may be eligible for employment through the Federal Work-Study Program. Eligibility is based on financial need as determined by the FAFSA. Most participants are employed in positions with various University departments, but limited off-campus jobs with certain approved agencies are also available.

Financial Counseling

The Financial Aid Office provides financial or budgetary counseling for any and all students regardless of whether they qualify for other types of financial assistance.

Out-of-State Student Assistance

Several states offer aid to their students attending schools in other states. Amounts and requirements for this assistance vary greatly. Further information can be obtained from the home-state aid agency.

Veterans' Assistance

Contact the Registrar's Office for information concerning eligibility for and payment of VA benefits and other matters for veterans attending or planning to attend UT Arlington.


252 Davis Hall | Box 19199 | 817.272.2197

The University of Texas at Arlington provides a variety of scholarship programs for students who have demonstrated exceptional academic achievement. UT Arlington also offers a number of endowed scholarships that are administered by a school, department or program. Graduate scholarships are awarded on the basis of scholastic excellence and adequate preparation for graduate study in the student's chosen field, as shown by the student's academic record. Scholarship eligibility criteria include admission into a degree program, enrollment in coursework leading to the degree, reasonable progress in the degree program, good academic standing, GPA, and in some cases, test scores, references and personal statements. There are additional specific qualifications for scholarships in various areas of study. Students are encouraged to contact their school dean or department/program office to obtain information about eligibility criteria and scholarships awarded in the student's area of study.

In addition to the specific qualifications required for various competitive scholarships awarded by the University, the committee responsible for selection of a given scholarship may consider such factors as leadership, community involvement and financial need. State law and the Rules and Regulations of the Board of Regents of The University of Texas System require that any scholarship and/or fellowship be approved by the appropriate scholarship, loans and awards committee (graduate or undergraduate). For graduate students, the Dean of Graduate Studies serves as the committee chair. Scholarship funds have been contributed by individual donors, UT Arlington alumni, corporations, government agencies and other entities to recognize and reward academic excellence.


Research and teaching assistantships available in most departments can be held only by students admitted unconditionally or on probation to Graduate School. Students admitted provisionally or students who are on academic probation are not eligible for assistantships. Prospective graduate students should contact the appropriate department chairperson for further information. To be continued on a research or teaching assistantship, a student must be in good standing and have performed assigned duties satisfactorily in the preceding semesters as determined by the respective department. Consult the catalog section on General Graduate School Regulations and Information for regulations regarding registration and responsibility of graduate assistants.

Before being appointed to an assistantship at UT Arlington, a student whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency. The preferred method to demonstrate English proficiency is by submitting an acceptable score of at least 23 on the TOEFL speaking subtest or a score of at least 7 on the speaking section of the IELTS before arriving in the United States. The TOEFL or IELTS score should be sent directly to UT Arlington. Score reports submitted directly by the student or those marked "Student Copy" or "Applicant's Copy" are not considered official and will not be accepted by the University. Holding a degree(s) from a U.S. college or university does not exempt from this requirement assistantship applicants who are non-native speakers of English. The TOEFL and IELTS are administered at test centers around the world. See the catalog entry titled Application Documentation Requirements in the Admission Requirements and Procedures section for further information.

Student Conduct and Discipline

The University of Texas at Arlington reserves the right to impose disciplinary penalties, including permanent expulsion, against a student for disciplinary reasons. Information about the rules of conduct and due process procedures is published in Rule 50101 of the Rules and Regulations of the Board of Regents of The University of Texas System. The Regents' Rules and Regulations may be accessed at This information is also published in the UT Arlington Handbook of Operating Procedures, copies of which are available in the offices of the Dean of Graduate Studies and Dean of Students.


Hazing in educational institutions is prohibited by both state law (Sections 51.936 and 37.151 et seq., Texas Education Code) and by the Regents' Rules and Regulations (Rule 50101). Individuals or organizations engaging in hazing could be subject to fines and charged with criminal offenses. Additionally, the law does not affect or in any way restrict the right of UT Arlington to enforce its own rules against hazing.

According to the law, a person can commit a hazing offense not only by engaging in a hazing activity, but also by soliciting, directing, encouraging, aiding or attempting to aid another in hazing; by intentionally, knowingly or recklessly allowing hazing to occur; or by failing to report firsthand information that a hazing incident is planned or has occurred in writing to the Vice President for Student Affairs or Dean of Students. The fact that a person consented to or acquiesced in a hazing activity is not a defense to prosecution for hazing under this law.

To encourage reporting of hazing incidents, the law grants immunity from civil or criminal liability to any person who reports a specific hazing event to the Office of Student Affairs and immunizes that person from participation in any judicial proceeding resulting from that report. The penalty for failure to report is a fine of up to $1,000, up to 180 days in jail, or both. Penalties for other hazing offenses vary according to the severity of the injury that results and range from $500 to $10,000 in fines and up to two years confinement.

The law defines hazing as an intentional, knowing or reckless act, occurring on or off the campus of an educational institution, by one person alone or acting with others, directed against a student, that endangers the mental or physical health or safety of that student for the purpose of pledging, being initiated into, affiliating with, holding office in or maintaining membership in any organization whose members are or include students at an educational institution. Hazing includes but is not limited to:

Campus Solicitations

"Solicitation," as defined in Rule 80103 of the Rules and Regulations of the Board of Regents of The University of Texas System, means the sale, lease, rental or offer for sale, lease, rental of any property, product, merchandise, publication or service, whether for immediate or future delivery; an oral statement or the distribution or display of printed material, merchandise or products that is designed to encourage the purchase, use or rental of any property, product, merchandise, publication or service; the receipt of or request for any gift or contribution; or the request to support or oppose or to vote for or against a candidate, issue or proposition appearing on the ballot at any election held pursuant to state or federal law or local ordinances. All solicitations on the UT Arlington campus must conform to the Regents' Rules and Regulations, copies of which are available in the offices of the president, vice presidents, academic deans, numerous other administrative offices and the Central Library. The Regents' Rules and Regulations also may be accessed at the following Web site:

Use of Campus Facilities

The property, buildings or facilities owned or controlled by The University of Texas at Arlington are not open for assembly, speech or other activities as are the public streets, sidewalks and parks. No person, organization, group, association or corporation may use property, buildings or facilities owned or controlled by UT Arlington for any purpose other than in the course of the regular programs or activities related to the University's role and mission unless authorized by and conducted in compliance with the Rules and Regulations of the Board of Regents of The University of Texas System, approved rules and regulations of UT Arlington, and applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.

Vehicle Emissions Inspections

Vehicles parking or driving on campus must comply with vehicle emissions inspections standards pursuant to Subchapter F, Chapter 548 of the Texas Transportation Code and vehicle registration laws, and must display appropriate inspection stickers. Non-resident students, those who reside in another state and whose vehicle is registered in another state, while attending this University, will be required by the State of Texas to submit their vehicle for emissions inspection each year prior to receiving a parking permit. Vehicles not in compliance will be ticketed.

Student Travel Policy

Before any student organization travels, it is beneficial to come to the Office of Student Governance and Organizations to receive information about liability and to consider using release forms that are available.

However, if the trip is funded by the University (including Program Assistance Funds), is more than 25 miles from the University, and the vehicle is owned or leased by the University, or if attendance is required by a student organization, then the organization must submit the Student/Group Travel Form and the University Request for Travel Authorization at least 10 days prior to the date of travel. All forms and additional information is available in the Office of Student Governance and Organizations. For additional information, see the UT Arlington Handbook of Operating Procedures, Part II, Subchapter 6-600.

University Authorized Absences

The Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs provides lists of students who have absences authorized by the University (e.g., participation in athletic events or scholastic activities that are officially-sponsored University functionsthese are primarily activities that are funded by the University). The student must contact the instructor one week in advance of the excused absence and arrange with the instructor to make up missed work or missed examinations. Instructors will provide those students an opportunity to make up the work or otherwise adjust the grading to ensure that the student is not penalized for the absence. Failure to notify the instructor or failure to comply with the arrangements to make up the work will void the excused absence.

Student Right-to-Know and Campus Security Act

In compliance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, formerly the Student Right-to-Know and Campus Security Act (P.L. 101-542, as amended), The University of Texas at Arlington publishes specified campus crime statistics and campus security policies through the Office of the Chief of the University Police.

Campus security policies include:

Crime statistics may be accessed on the University Police Web site at

Graduation Rates

In 2002-2003, the graduation rate was 36.6 percent for students who entered The University of Texas at Arlington in 1997 on a full-time basis as first-time, degree-seeking freshmen.


© 2009 The University of Texas at Arlington