The University of Texas at Arlington: Graduate Catalog 2007-2008 Graduate Catalog 2007-2008
Note: This Catalog was published in July 2007 and supersedes the 2006-2007 Catalog.

Tuition, Fees, and Charges

Description of Tuition, Fees, and Charges

Other Registration Expenses

Tuition, Fees, and Charges: Exemptions and Waivers

In Absentia Registration Fee

Academic Common Market

Payment of Tuition, Fees, and Charges

Concurrent Enrollment

Residency Regulations

Audit of a Student's Schedule and Fee Audit Adjustments


Tuition, fees, and charges are subject to change. Charges will be effective upon date of enactment and will be reflected in tuition, fees, and charges assessed. Tuition, fees, and charges are authorized by state statute; however, the specific amounts and the determination to increase the fees and charges are made by The University of Texas at Arlington administration and The University of Texas System Board of Regents.

Tuition is charged based on course of study; therefore a precise semester registration total may be calculated by accessing the Registration Cost Estimation site at In addition, you must add the amount of the actual college, course, and/or section specific fees, which are obtained in the printed or online Schedule of Classes at

Graduate students who enrolled under the Summer 1999 or subsequent catalogs will be charged non-resident tuition under the following conditions: A doctoral student must pay non-resident tuition beginning the first long semester in which a) the student has been enrolled previously as a graduate student for 14 or more long semesters, AND b) the student has accumulated more than 99 semester credit hours of doctoral study at UTA. Students exceeding both limits will not be eligible for assistantships supported by state funds.

A Designated Tuition discount will be given to students who meet ALL of the requirements published at select Designated Tuition Discount.

Failure to pay tuition, fees, and charges by the census date constitutes voluntary semester withdrawal resulting in the student's financial responsibility for approximately 50 percent of their total registration.

Description of Tuition, Fees, and Charges

Tuition, fees, and charges are assessed to students based on semester credit hours (SCH), a set charge per semester, or specific services. They are either required by all students, charged to everyone taking specific courses or anyone receiving specific services, or charged only for voluntary products or services. Refer to and select Description of Tuition, Fees and Charges.

Other Registration Expenses

General Property Deposit

International Student Health Insurance

International students are required to purchase The University of Texas at Arlington Student Health Insurance Plan while enrolled at the University. Exceptions to this requirement are:

Proof of coverage and benefits provided must be documented and must be comparable to the University-sponsored plan. All policies under the three categories of exceptions must contain at least a $7,500 repatriation benefit and a $10,000 medical evacuation benefit. All policies must meet USIA regulations for those in "J" status. If coverage does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, supplemental policies covering those items will be made available.

Mav Express Card Charge

As noted under Tuition, Fees, and Charges, each student at U.T. Arlington is required to pay a $10 Mav Express Card activation charge for the fall, spring, and 11-week summer semesters. The 5-week summer session, Maymester, and Winter Session are $5 each. The Mav Express Card is used for accessing controlled facilities, checking books from the Library, cashing checks at Bursar Services, as well as for admission to various University activities such as athletic events and for other situations in which personal identification is required. As an option, a student may choose to deposit money on the Mav Express Card. This debit feature is called Mav Money. Students may use Mav Money at Dining Services, Bursar Services, University Center, University Bookstore, vending machines and many other locations on and off campus. Deposits may be made and account activity reviewed online at The Mav Express Card is a permanent card. As a student registers for a semester, the card is automatically validated. It is not necessary to obtain an additional Mav Express Card unless the student loses or destroys the card. The replacement charge for a lost or destroyed card is $10.

Maverick Parking Garage

The optional parking garage is available at an additional per semester charge, plus gate card deposit. Day and night passes are offered, however the official meeting time of all classes must be 5:30 p.m. or later to qualify for the night pass. Passes must be picked up at the garage and are only for parking in the garage. The garage is normally closed between semesters. A parking permit must be purchased for parking elsewhere on campus.

Contact the Maverick Parking Garage at 817.272.2370 for specific rates and availability.

Parking Permit Charge

All students who drive to school need a permit to park legally on campus. During registration, students should indicate that they need a permit for their vehicle, if they want the charge to be billed to their registration account. Students registering by telephone or on the Web will have to pick up their current University permit by the first day of class. The University Police/Parking Office will no longer mail these permits out but will provide an alternate location for pick up and this information will be listed on your registration information. You can always pick up your permit at the Parking Office located at 700 S. Davis Drive.

If students withdraw from school any time before classes begin or before the census date, they must bring their permit to the Parking Office to receive a full/partial refund. If the permit is not returned, a refund cannot be given and the student is responsible for full payment. Students who lose or misplace their permits will be charged full price for the replacement. If the Parking Office is not notified of loss or non receipt of permit, the student will be held responsible for all fees pertaining to permit.

Students are responsible for picking up a copy of the Rules and Regulations booklet containing campus parking policies. A copy can be obtained from the Police Web site listed below. The University Police/Parking Office is open 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday and will be open until 7 p.m. only during specific registration and census dates. Persons with disabilities will need to provide the appropriate documentation and should obtain their parking permits from the University Police/Parking Office located at 700 S. Davis Drive. For additional parking information, call 817.272.3907 or visit the Web site

Tuition, Fees, and Charges: Exemptions and Waivers

State law provides for several exemptions or waivers of tuition, fees, and charges. Students qualified for a reduced rate in any of the following categories must have that eligibility certified prior to registration. For a complete description and eligibility requirements, please go to and select Exemptions and Waivers. This Web site will also provide department contact information and tuition, fees, and charges that are exempt or waived. Additional information may be found in the Texas Education Code.

01 Texas Veteran, Texas Education Code/Hazelwood Act 54.203(a)
02 Orphan U.S. Military/Texas National Guard, Texas Education Code 54.203(b)
04 Good Neighbor Scholarship, Texas Education Code 54.207
05 Hearing or Vision Impaired, Texas Education Code 54.205
08 Dependent of Texas POW or MIA, Texas Education Code 54.209
13 Educational Aides Exemption, Texas Education Code 54.214
14 Distance Learning Only, Texas Education Code 54.218
20 Academic Common Market, Texas Education Code 160.07
21 Military & Family Stationed in or residing in Texas, Texas Education Code 54.058
22 Non-Resident Teacher/Professor & Dependents, Texas Education Code 54.059
23 UTA Employee Fee Waiver, Texas Education Code 54.5035
24 Teaching/Research Assistant, Texas Education Code 54.063
25 Competitive Scholar - Academic, Texas Education Code 54.064
26 Competitive Scholar Non-Academic, Texas Education Code 54.064
28 RNs in Postgraduate Nursing, Texas Education Code 54.069
30 Prisoners of War, Texas Education Code 54.219
31 NATO, Texas Education Code 54.057(b)
32 Pilot Program - Mexico, Texas Education Code 54.060
33 Texas-Mexico Educational Exchange, Texas Education Code 54.060
34 State Economic Development, Texas Education Code54.052(h)
40 Reciprocal Educational Exchange Program, Texas Education Code 54.060 Vcta 21.901-9. Ch 21; Sub Aa
49 Bordering State Resident, Texas Education Code 54.060
50 Senior Citizen Waiver, Texas Education Code 54.210

In Absentia Registration Fee

A candidate for a degree who has completed all requirements for graduation by the last date to qualify for in absentia registration (see Graduate School calendars) and who needs to register in the University for the sole purpose of having a degree conferred may register In Absentia with permission of the Graduate Advisor and the Dean of Graduate Studies. To obtain permission, the student should file a Request to Register In Absentia. A student registered in absentia may not enroll for courses. The in absentia registration fee is $15; no refund is made for the cancellation of an In Absentia registration. In addition to paying the cost of In Absentia registration, the candidate must file an application for graduation and pay the diploma fee for the semester of graduation.

Academic Common Market

The Academic Common Market is an interstate agreement for sharing academic programs through an exchange of students across state lines. Fifteen southern states take part in the Academic Common Market. Texas, Florida and North Carolina participate at the graduate level only. Selected out-of-state programs that are not offered in a student's home state can be accessed through the Academic Common Market at in-state tuition rates.

For information on the graduate programs at The University of Texas at Arlington that are available through the Academic Common Market and the states that have access to those programs, contact the Graduate School or the Academic Common Market coordinator in the home state.

Further information on the Academic Common Market may be obtained from the Texas State Coordinator for the Academic Common Market: Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, P.O. Box 12788, Austin, Texas, 78711. Phone: 512-427-6525. E-mail:

Payment of Tuition, Fees, and Charges

Please go to for information listed under Paying Your Bills.

Payment Options

Please go to and select Enrollment Loans or Installment Payment Plan.

Questions may be directed to Bursar Services, 817.272.2172. Detailed student account information may not be released to anyone other than the student without the student's written permission in Bursar Services.

Payment Methods and Locations

The University accepts cash, checks, traveler's checks, money orders, and the following credit cards: MasterCard, Visa, Discover, Diner's Club, and American Express. Student's 10-digit UTA ID must be provided with payment. Any form of payment that is returned unpaid can result in enrollment withdrawal and additional penalties.

Concurrent Enrollment

Cooperative Programs Between University of Texas System Components

Please go to and select Concurrent Enrollment.

Sponsored Students/Texas Tomorrow Fund Participants

It is the student's responsibility to contact Bursar Services, Rm. 130, Davis Hall, 817.272.2172, each semester prior to the payment deadline date to confirm that an authorization has been received and is sufficient to secure the current session registration.

Residency Regulations

Resident classifications are determined in accordance with Title 19, Chapter 21, Subchapter B of the Texas Administrative Code and the rules of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board for determining residence status. Except as specifically provided by law, an individual classified as a non-resident student must pay tuition, fees, and charges required of non-resident students. Students may access the Coordinating Board's rules at

An independent individual 18 years of age or older who moves to Texas and is gainfully employed in Texas for 12 months prior to enrolling in an institution of higher education is entitled to classification as a resident student unless the individual is in Texas for some purpose other than establishing residence in the state. A student enrolling in an institution of higher education prior to having lived in Texas for 12 months immediately preceding the time of enrollment will be classified as a nonresident student. The residence of a dependent who is under 18 years old is generally the residence of the parent with whom the individual lives.

The residence of a dependent 18 years of age or older is the residence of the parent who claims the individual as a dependent for federal income tax purposes.

After living in Texas for at least 12 months, a nonresident student may be reclassified as a resident student if business and personal facts or actions are unequivocally indicative of a fixed intention to reside permanently in Texas. A nonresident student classification is presumed to be correct as long as the residence of the individual in Texas is primarily for the purpose of attending an educational institution.

Students claiming resident status must provide documentation to confirm that they have a legal right to be classified as resident students. Students must affirm under oath that they are entitled to be classified as residents for purposes of tuition. Foreign students living in the United States under a visa permitting permanent residence, aliens who are permitted by Congress to adopt the United States as their domicile while they are in this country, and individuals who obtain permanent resident status while in Texas have the same privilege of qualifying for Texas resident status for tuition purposes as do U.S. citizens.

Generally, a student attending The University of Texas at Arlington who is not classified as a resident student will be charged non-resident tuition. Certain nonresident students, however, are entitled to pay tuition and other fees required of Texas residents. For example, military personnel assigned to duty in Texas, and their spouses and dependent children, are entitled to pay the same tuition as a Texas resident if certain documentation is provided. Similarly, students who hold a competitive academic scholarship of $1,000 per year or more awarded through The University of Texas at Arlington are entitled to pay resident fees and charges. Other exceptions to the requirement that nonresident students pay nonresident tuition, fees, and charges are included in the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board rules for determining residence status.

The responsibility of registering under and maintaining the proper residence classification rests on the student. If there is any question concerning the student's classification at the time of registration, or any time thereafter, it is the student's obligation to consult with the residence advisor in the Graduate School and have the student's classification officially determined. All requests for reclassification should be submitted to the Graduate School at least 30 days prior to the registration period in question.

Residency appeals are made to the Residency Appeals Committee. Decisions of the committee are final.

Audit of Student's Schedule and Fee Audit Adjustments

All adds, drops and other registration adjustments through the Census Date each semester will cause an immediate, automatic fee recalculation. Withdrawals made on or after the first official university class day, as well as add/drops or tuition adjustments done after the Census Date will be audited approximately six weeks into the semester in the fall and spring, sooner in the short semesters. At that time, the appropriate charges or credits will be added to the student's registration account.


Dropping Course(s) but Continuing Enrollment

If a student remains enrolled in at least one course, he/she will be refunded in full for any course dropped by the census date. If a course is dropped after the census date, the student is financially responsible for the full cost of the course.

Total Withdrawal from School

A student who officially withdraws through the Student Administration section of the Registrar's Office will receive a refund according to the schedule below.

  1. A student who withdraws prior to the first official university class day will receive a 100 percent refund.
  2. If the foregoing condition is not met, then the refund shall be as shown below. Class days noted are official university class days. They are not the individual student's class meeting days.
    Fall and Spring Semesters

    During class days 1 through 5: 80%
    During class days 6 through 10: 70%
    During class days 11 through 15: 50%
    During class days 16 through 20: 25%
    After 20th class day: no refund

    Summer Sessions

    During class days 1 through 3: 80%
    During class days 4 through 6: 50%
    After sixth class day: no refund


    On first class day: 80%
    On second class day: 50%
    After second class day: no refund

  3. Parking refunds must be applied for separately at the Parking Office, 700 S. Davis Drive.

Return of Federal Title IV and Other Aid Funds

Effective with the fall semester of 2000, a federally mandated statutory schedule must be used to determine the amount of federal aid funds students have earned when they cease attendance based on the period the students were in attendance. The amount of federal aid earned is the percentage of federal aid that has been earned, multiplied by the total amount of federal aid that was disbursed for the period. Any funds this pro-rata schedule show to be unearned must be returned to the aid programs by the students. This schedule will be used until 60 percent of the period has passed, after which all aid funds will be considered to have been earned.

Repayment of other aid funds may also be required as the result of dropping classes or resigning from a term. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Disbursement of Refunds

Enrollment withdrawal refunds cannot be made until an audit of tuition, fees, and charges has been performed. Refunds normally cannot be issued until approximately six weeks after a semester begins in the fall and spring semesters, sooner in short semesters. For your convenience, direct deposit of any refund is available. Contact Bursar Services for information.

Inquiries concerning refunds should be directed to Bursar Services, Rm. 130, Davis Hall, 817.272.2172.


2007 The University of Texas at Arlington