Thesis & Dissertation Forms
Thesis and dissertation documents must be written in the proper format in order to be accepted by Graduate Studies. UT Arlington’s requirements ensure that all thesis/dissertation documents have a uniform appearance and are suitable for archiving. Our requirements follow the guidelines provided in Kate L. Turabian’s A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, 7th edition, with a few modifications.
Thesis and dissertation students must submit their documents using the UMI/ETD website. Once submitted, a Graduate Studies T&D Specialist will perform a mechanical check of your document to ensure that it meets of all the required elements. These guidelines only apply to the appearance of your document; the content of your thesis or dissertation must be approved by your committee. Please see our Graduation Information for additional graduation requirements.
Our EDGE program offers additional resources for completing your thesis or dissertation. The following resources are also available:
T&D Online Seminar (WMV, 12.04MB)
T&D Seminar Slides (PDF, 2.44MB)
UTA Policy and Request for Publication Embargo (PDF, 103KB)
Templates – Old Format
Available for use until May 2013
- Thesis Template (DOCX, 85KB)
- Dissertation Template (DOCX, 85KB)
- Thesis & Dissertation Template, LaTeX Format (ZIP, 541KB)
- Manual of Style (PDF, 138KB)
- How to Use the Electronic Thesis & Dissertation Website (PDF, 1.83MB)
Thesis & Dissertation Guidelines
Our Thesis & Dissertation Guidelines have been updated. These new guidelines are available for use as of Fall 2012 and will be mandatory for all thesis/dissertation students beginning in May 2013.
- Thesis & Dissertation Handbook (PDF, 1.13MB)
- T&D Flowchart (PDF, 16KB)
- Required Elements (Guidelines) for Theses/Dissertations (PDF, 467KB)
- Thesis/Dissertation Template
- Instructions for Using the Thesis/Dissertation Template (PDF, 901KB)
- ETD Users Guide (PDF, 1.83MB)