Basic Graduation Requirements

  • Student must apply for graduation
  • Student must be enrolled in at least one credit hour of graduate-level coursework in the semester in which he wishes to graduate (see section on In Absentia below for exceptions)
  • Student must earn at least a 3.0 GPA overall in the courses the constitute the GMAP
  • All courses on GMAP must be completed and passed with a grade of A, B, C, or P
  • Final exam requirement of thesis/dissertation defense must be unconditionally passed by the published deadline and the results must be reported to Graduate Studies
  • Thesis/dissertation must meet all formatting requirements and be approved by Graduate Studies by the published deadlines
  • Any other requirements as set forth by the Academic Department must be met


Enrollment Requirement

Graduate students must be enrolled in at least one graduate credit hour of coursework at UT Arlington in the semester in which they wish to graduate. Only students who are approved to register in absentia are exempt from this policy.

Course Grades/GPA Requirements

  • Course Grades: Only courses graded A, B, C or P are eligible to be used to fulfill graduate degree requirements. Courses graded D, F, W, I, or R may not be used toward degree requirements or total units required.
  • GPA: Graduate Studies calculates 3 different GPAs for purposes of determining graduation eligibility. All GPAs must be greater than or equal to 3.0 for a student to be eligible for a graduate degree.
    • Cumulative GPA: The cumulative GPA consists of the averge GPA of all coursework taken in graduate-level status.
    • GMAP GPA: The average GPA of all courses that are used to fulfill graduation requirements. This GPA will not include courses that were failed, incomplete, or were not used to satisfy degree requirements.
    • Special GPA: The MBA program and Electrical Engineering program both require special GPAs which include a GPA within a subset of the student’s degree plan. Please see catalog information for details.

Course Level Requirements

Typically, 5000 and 6000 level courses are used to fulfill graduate degree requirements. With graduate advisor approval, up to 9 units of advanced undergraduate coursework (3000-4000 level courses) may be used to fulfill graduate degree requirements as long as these courses were not used to fulfill the requirements of a previous degree earned at UT Arlington or elsewhere.

Total Unit Requirement

Graduate Studies requires that all Master’s students complete a minimum number of units for graduation depending on the degree option the student is pursuing:

  • Thesis Option = Minimum of 30 units.
  • Thesis Substitute Option = Minimum of 33 units.
  • Non-Thesis Option = Minimum of 36 units.
  • Doctoral Students = No minimum units are required by Graduate Studies. The academic unit is responsible for upholding the academic rigor within its own PhD program.

Transfer Credit >>

GMAP (Graduate Maverick Academic Progress)

The term GMAP stands for Graduate Maverick Academic Progress. It is an electronic degree plan. Each degree program at the graduate level has a GMAP. The GMAP is basically a template set up to try to track the average student’s degree progress for any given program.

Setting Up the GMAP

The first step in getting an accurate GMAP for a student is to make sure that the student is coded for the right major and the right degree option (i.e.: Thesis, non-thesis or thesis substitute.) Most program have chosen a default degree option for new students who are unsure about doing a thesis or are unsure about their specialty area. It is important to check the track before working on a GMAP to make sure that the student is properly coded. If the student has the wrong plan code, the GMAP will be wrong and any work you do on the GMAP will be lost once the code is corrected.

  • Checking a Student’s Academic Plan – To check a student’s plan and subplan codes, navigate in MyMav to the Student Program/Plan page. (Records and Enrollment > Career and Program Information > Student Program/Plan.) By selecting on the 2nd tab, Student Plan, you can see the plan for which the student is coded. In the example below the student is coded for the MBA in Business Administration, Non-thesis option. If you find that the student is incorrectly coded, please see the section on Changing a Student’s Coding in MyMav, below.

    Select the image below to enlarge it.

  • Checking a Student’s Subplan – By selecting the 3rd tab, you can determine which, if any, subplan is coded for the student. In the example below, the student is in the Finance Specialty area. Remember, not all degree programs use subplans. If you are unsure if your students need a subplan, you can run a GMAP. If a subplan is required but has not been coded, a notice will appear on the GMAP reminding you and the student to select a subplan. If you find that the student is incorrectly coded, please see the section on Changing a Student’s Coding in MyMav, below.

Changing a Student’s Coding in MyMav

  • Changing concentration or degree track – to request a change in concentration area or degree track (i.e.: Thesis, non-thesis, thesis sub) use the online Graduate Plan/Sub Plan Change Form. Graduate Studies will review and make the change within 2-3 business days.
  • Changing subplan – to request a change in subplan, use the online Graduate Plan/Sub Plan Change Form. Graduate Studies will review and make the change within 2-3 business days.
  • Changing majors – changing majors requires approval from both the original advisor and the advisor in the new degree program. Students must request to change program.

Running the GMAP

  1. Navigate to the Student Advisement Report page Academic Advising>Student Advisement>Student Advisement Report.
  2. From this screen select the “Add a New Value” tab.
  3. Use the drop down menus to change the institution to UTARL and the Transcript type to GMAP.
  4. Select the second tab, Request Detail, and enter the Student’s ID number (hint: to run multiple student’s GMAPs at once, use the + box at the right of the screen to add another ID number.) Once you have entered the ID number(s) and verified the student’s name, select the yellow “Process Request” button in the upper right portion of the screen.
  5. The GMAP will be processed with the latest information available in the system. You will be automatically taken to the 3rd tab, Report Results, when the GMAP is ready to be viewed.

Interpreting the GMAP

  • Section 1: Summary page – The first section of the GMAP is called the Academic Summary page. This page pulls information from various places in MyMav to provide a summary of the student’s career.
  • Section 2: Academic Advisement Report – This section constitutes the main body of the GMAP and includes all previously determined degree requirements for a student in this particular major and degree option.
    • AA Report part 1: The top part of this section is used to deliver a disclaimer and monitor the cumulative graduate GPA.

      Select the image below to enlarge it.

    • AA Report part 2: This portion of the report lists all “not allocated” courses (below in green box.) This section lists all the courses that are not used to fulfill degree requirements on the GMAP at this time.

      There are several reasons why a course may not be allocated in the GMAP. The most common are:

      1. The course does not have an acceptable grade, or
      2. Does not specifically satisfy the pre-determined degree requirements

      You may wish to use some of the unallocated courses to fulfill degree requirements for a particular student, even though it is not specifically listed on the GMAP. In this case, you would need to perform a manual course substitution. See Adjusting the GMAP below, for more information.

      Select the image below to enlarge it.

    • AA Report part 3: The third part of the report is the degree plan structure itself. The structure of the GMAP follows a hierarchy. Requirement Groups are labeled as (RG–####) and are aligned at the far left margin. The RG refers to the entire plan. Within the RG you have individual Requirements or RQs. RQs are labeled as (RQ–###.) An RQ is a subset of degree requirements within the RG and are slightly indented to the right as compared with the location of the RG.

      In the example below the RG description (see green box) refers to entire City and Regional Planning degree plan and is labeled (RG-0157.) It appears at the top of the GMAP. All the RQs below the RG description are part of the RG. As you can see in the RG description, the entire degree plan requires completion of 48 units. You can also tell by the description that the units and other requirements are not yet satisfied.

      The first Requirement (RQ) within RG-0157 is the City and Regional Planning Foundation (blue box.) The foundation courses comprise 24 of the 48 required total units for the RG. If you continue to scroll down through the GMAP you would find the rest of the Requirements that make up the remaining 24 units.

      Select the image below to enlarge it.

      You can tell by looking at the Foundation requirement description (above in blue box) that the Requirement is not yet satisfied and that 15 more units are needed.

Adjusting the GMAP (Subs and Waivers)

Although the GMAP is built to accommodate as many students as possible, it is sometimes necessary to adjust the GMAP for a particular student. For example, if the student has been approved to substitute a different course for a required course, or if the course that is automatically matching in an area is incorrect, the departmental advisor can make adjustments to the GMAP on a student-by-student basis. These adjustments are called student overrides, or subs and waivers**.

**All advisors must be trained to perform subs and waivers. Once training has been completed, Graduate Studies can request access to the subs/waivers pages. If you need subs/waivers training, you may sign up through OIT Training. If you have completed training and need access to the pages in MyMav, contact us at with your request.

For a quick reference, view the available Online Training Guides.


Application for Graduation

The online Application for Graduation is required for all graduate students wishing to be considered as a candidate for graduation. Our office no longer accepts paper applications.

  • Deadlines: Applications are due by the 30th day after the first day of class in the semester in which the student wishes to graduate. Graduate Studies will also accept applications for graduation between the 30th and 60th day after the first day of class with an additional $50 late fee. After the 60th day after the first day of class, applications for graduation will not be accepted.
  • Fees: The graduation fee is $30 which includes one diploma. Additional diplomas cost $20 each. Late application fee is $50. The student may opt to have the diploma(s) mailed to him/her for $8 (US), $15 (Mexico/Canada), or $45 (overseas.) Graduation fees are non-refundable and non-transferable, therefore before submitting the Application for Graduation, students should verify that they will meet graduation requirements.

Exam/Defense Reports

Students taking the diagnostic, comprehensive or final Master’s exam, or defending a thesis or dissertation, must submit a written request to schedule the exam/defense and a report of the results of the exam or defense signed by the examining committee. Please check the current Graduate Calendar for the deadlines for submission of these forms:

Exceptional Circumstances

In Absentia

Graduate Studies enforces the requirement that a student must be enrolled in at least one hour of graduate level credit in the semester in which he/she applied for graduation. In some cases, the enrollment requirement can be waived. In Absentia is the designation we give to students who are approved to have the enrollment requirement for graduation waived. A student can be approved for in absentia only if they have met all graduate requirements by the end of semester deadline. A student must submit a Request to Register In Absentia (PDF, 15KB), along with an Application for Graduation to Graduate Studies by the end of semester deadline. Graduate Studies will evaluate the student’s request. If we determine that all graduation requirements have been met, we will approve the request. If any of the graduation requirements have not been met, the student must register in the semester in which he applies for graduation.

The two most common reasons for requesting to register in absentia are:

  1. The student failed to apply to graduate by the deadline of the previous term, or
  2. The student completed thesis requirements, but not by the deadline required for graduation in the previous term

Students approved to register in absentia should not enroll in the term in which they are graduating. International students approved for in absentia are required to start their OPT during their in absentia registration period.

Continue Beyond the Master’s

Students who wish to pursue their Doctoral degree in the semester immediately following their semester of graduation should request to change program at the time they apply for graduation. The student should indicate their intention to earn the Master’s before being changed to Doctoral status on on the form before submitting. The form should be submitted to Graduate Studies.

Dual Degrees

Students approved to seek dual Master’s degrees may apply for graduation from one or both degrees in a given semester. It is not necessary for the two to be conferred simultaneously. Students must submit separate applications for graduation for each degree they are seeking.

The policy for sharing coursework between dual degrees is as follows:

  • Six semester hours may be used jointly when the total number of hours required for both degrees is 60
  • Six to 12 semester hours may be used jointly when the total number of hours required for both degrees is between 60 and 72 hours
  • Six to 18 semester hours may be used jointly when the total number of hours required for both degrees exceeds 72 hours

More Information on Dual Degrees >>

5 Year Programs

Students admitted to the 5-year programs in Business, Accounting or Bioengineering must have both the Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees conferred in the same term. Students must apply for graduation in the Registrar’s office and in Graduate Studies.

Degree Conferral Process


  1. Graduate Studies accepts applications for graduation up until the Friday before Saturday commencement ceremonies. Please check the Academic Calendar for deadlines.
  2. Applications are entered in MyMav and degree checkout status is set to applied on the Student Program/Plan pages.
  3. After grades are posted, GMAPs are run for all graduation candidates.
  4. GMAPs and all other required documents are checked and either approved or denied.
  5. Approved students are conferred. Denied students are sent letters explaining the reason for the denial.
  6. Diplomas are printed and distributed approximately 5-6 weeks after final grades post.

DNG (Did Not Graduate)

Students may be denied graduation for a variety of reasons. The most typical include low GPA, incomplete coursework, missed deadlines or incomplete thesis or dissertation. For a full list of DNG reasons see below.


DNG Reasons
Application for Graduation not received
No Enrollment in term of requested graduation
Cumulative GPA below 3.0
GMAP GPA below 3.0
Specialty Area GPA is less than required
R grade in required course
I grade in required course
D grade in required course
F grade in required course
Final Master’s Exam report not in
Final Master’s Exam passed conditionally
Final Master’s Exam failed
Six unit thesis course not passed with grade P
Thesis not approved or accepted by Graduate Studies
Dissertation defense report not in
Dissertation Defense passed conditionally
Dissertation Defense failed
Nine unit dissertation course not passed with grade P
Dissertation not approved or accepted by Graduate Studies
Foreign language requirement not met
DNG by Student Request

Diplomas/Letters of Certification

Diplomas are printed in Graduate Studies. One diploma is included in the graduation fee of $30. Additional diplomas can be ordered for $20. Diplomas are released approximately 5-6 weeks after final grades post. Reorders can be requested using the Request For Diploma Reorder (PDF, 304KB) form, or you can contact us at with the request.

Letters of Certification are letters produced for students who need verification that they have met degree requirements in addition to the official UT Arlington transcript. The most common requestors of Letters of Certification are students seeking work visas in the US. In many cases, the student must have an official letter from the University stating that degree requirements have been met. Students approved to graduate In Absentia in the following term may also request a letter stating that they have met all degree requirements. To request a Letter of Certification, the student should submit a Request Letter of Certification from.