Current Students


Petition to the Graduate Faculty

This is an online form used by graduate students to request an exception to a petitionable general policy or to the rules stated in the graduate catalog.

The student should be as clear and concise as possible and state specifically what rule/policy he or she is petitioning and any reasons why the request should be approved. (Students are responsible for knowing dates/deadlines and catalog information, so ignorance of a policy or deadline does generally not constitute a valid reason.) The petition must be digitally signed and an approval or denial decision issued by both the graduate advisor and Committee on Graduate Studies chair before being submitted to Graduate Studies for approval. Copies of any relevant documents can also be attached to the petition. The Dean of Graduate Studies will review the petition and make a decision. The decision will be communicated to the student via email and both the student and the department will receive a copy of the finalized petition.

Examples of Typical Petitions:

  • To continue as a student despite GPA below 3.0.
  • To continue a position as GRA/GTA despite GPA below 3.0.
  • To take below the normal minimum hours required to hold a GRA/GTA position.
  • Extension of a published deadline during the semester. Examples include the deadline to apply for graduation, thesis/dissertation defense, Mechanical check, etc…
  • Extension of the provisional/probationary time limit.
  • To use Master’s coursework older than 6 years to satisfy Master’s degree requirements.
  • To request more time to complete a PhD degree beyond the 4 years from the date of the comprehensive exams.

Examples of Petition Requests that Will NOT Be Considered:

  • Requests to withdraw from all classes after the last day to drop. These requests are made using a Petition to Withdraw, below.
  • Requests to graduate with fewer than the minimum units required for a Master’s degree (30-thesis, 33 thesis substitute, 36 non-thesis.)
  • Requests to graduate with less than the minimum GPA required for a degree (3.0.)
  • Waiver of the dissertation requirement for a PhD degree.
  • Request for refunds (These requests are filed in the Bursar’s office.)
  • Requests for In-State tuition (This is handled through the use of a Residency Questionnaire.)
  • Requests to substitute one course on the degree plan for another (Courses used to fulfill a degree are the decision of the department and a petition is not required except in the case where the coursework is too old for normal consideration.)
  • Waiver of a course requirement (Petition is not required. Approval or denial of a course waiver is determined by the department.)

Petition to Withdraw

Petition To WithDraw Form (PDF, 274KB)

This form is used by students wanting to withdraw from all their courses after the last day to drop has passed for the semester. This form can only be used after the last day to drop. Student’s submitting this form must drop all courses. There is no selective course withdraw after the last day to drop. (For exceptions see the section on the Class Roll Adjustment Form, below.)

The student should fill out the top portion of the form stating specifically why his/her request should be granted. The student must also fill in the course information in the appropriate box. Copies of any relevant documents can be attached to the petition should the student feel it would help his/her case.

The instructor(s) of the course(s) to be dropped must sign and indicate whether the student is passing or failing the course at the time of the request. The graduate advisor must sign the form and the form is to be delivered either by the department or to the student to the Graduate School. The Dean will review the petition and make a decision.

Grade Change Form

This is a form used to change a grade of a student. The Grade Change Form requires approval signatures from the Instructor, Department Head, and Academic Dean before being sent to Graduate Studies for approval and processing. A justification for change must be stated on the form and any necessary documentation must be attached to the form for review before it is processed.

Until grades are posted online, faculty can change any grades they have submitted for that term by going into the Grade Roster and selecting a different grade, then saving. Please see the online instructions on changing a grade before the end of the semester. Once grades have been posted online, faculty will need to use the Official Grade Change Form to request a grade change unless no grade has yet been posted.

Faculty who miss the posting deadline should contact the Office of Admissions, Records and Registration when their grades have been entered, so that the grades can be processed and made available online to students. Contact Michael Taylor ( Students with questions about unreported grades will be directed to their faculty.

The types of grades that may be assigned in courses are: A, B, C, D, F, P, I, R, and W. Valid grades that may be assigned in a course are listed on the instructor’s copy of the class roll issued at the beginning of each semester and on the form instructors use to submit to report final grades at the end of the semester.

Grade of I: The grade of I designates a grade of incomplete. A student unable to complete all assigned work for a class in a semester may receive a grade of I at the discretion of the instructor. A student may not receive an incomplete in research, internship, thesis, or dissertation courses (See Grade of R below.) It is the responsibility of the student to make arrangements with the professor to receive an incomplete. The grade will remain an I until the student completes all work and the instructor submits a Grade Change form to change the grade.

Grade of R: The grade of R designates a grade of research in progress and is given only in research, internship, thesis, or dissertation courses. A graduate student unable to complete assignments in one of these courses may receive an R. The R grade is a permanent grade and does not carry credit value. A student may receive academic credit for passing an R-graded course only if the work is completed within a semester in which he or she is enrolled in the course, so the student would need to re-enroll in the course until a P grade is given.

Grade of W: A grade of W may be assigned if a student chooses to withdraw from a class after Census date, but prior to the last drop date posted in the Graduate Calendar. Graduate students must consult with their Graduate Advisor before withdrawing from a class. The student must secure the permission of the instructor and be passing the course at the time they intend to withdraw to receive a grade of W. See the Dropping A Course section of this handbook for instructions on dropping a student.

Class Roll Adjustment Form

The day following current semester census day each semester, Class Roll Adjustments come into effect in the manner that a student’s current class schedule can be changed, for example, to “Add” a course, to “Drop” a course, or section change add/drop. CRAs are issued by the academic department with 3 approval signatures: Instructor, Department Chair, Academic Dean. From the Dean’s office the CRA should be forwarded to Linda Wilson, Assistant Provost, Box 19118 for signature approval.

Additional fees of $250 per course will be assessed by the Registrar’s Office.

Transfer Credit

Transfer credit is only allowed at the Master’s and Certificate level. No transfer credit is accepted for Doctoral programs, however, waivers of coursework may be granted for work completed at other institutions at the department’s discretion. Transfer credit may be used toward the total required units for the degree, however the grade point received in the transfer course will not be included in calculating the student’s UT Arlington grade point average, GMAP GPA or Special GPA. For GPA information see the Course Grades/GPA Requirements section of this handbook.

Steps for Requesting Transfer Credit for a Master’s and/or Certificate Student

  1. Review student’s transcripts and degree requirements to determine appropriate transfer credit.
  2. Submit the Request for Transfer Credit Form (PDF, 25KB) to Graduate Studies. Please complete all required fields. A specific UT Arlinton course must be listed as an equivalent. Graduate Studies must also have an official transcript on file from the school where the courses were originally taken. The transcript must show the requested courses and the final grade received in each course.
  3. Graduate Studies will review the transfer credit for requirements listed below. If credit is approved, the course will be posted to the MyMav system. To check a student’s approved credit, run the GMAP and look for courses graded “TA” or “TB.”

Transfer Credit Requirements

  1. The courses must be approved by the graduate advisor.
  2. No more than 9 units of coursework may be transferred in, except in professional Master’s programs that require more than 36 hours of coursework. In such programs, the number of transfer hours is limited to 25% of the total program hours.
  3. Credit may not have been used toward fulfillment of degree requirements for a previous degree at either another institution or at UT Arlington (except when courses taken toward the degree at UT Arlington are being applied toward the certificate at UT Arlington.)
  4. Credit must be from a regionally accredited university (or equivalent foreign standing.)
  5. The coursework must be graduate level.
  6. Only courses in which a grade of A or B was received will be approved to be used for transfer credit. Courses graded Pass or Credit are not eligible.
  7. Transfer credit may not be more than 6 years old at the time of graduation. To request an exception to this policy, submit a Petition to the Graduate Faculty.
  8. Certificates requiring 15 units of coursework or less — a minimum of 50% of the coursework required for the certificate must be taken in residence at UT Arlington.
  9. Certificates requiring more than 15 units of coursework — a minimum of 12 units of the coursework required for the certificate must be taken in residence at UT Arlington.

Change of Graduate Program

  1. Enrolled students wishing to change graduate major, program or degree level from the one in which they are enrolled currently.
  2. Enrolled students wishing to change from one program to a dual degree program (Master’s level only.)
  3. Enrolled students wishing to change from a dual degree program to one program.
  4. Students wishing to change from Doctoral to Master’s degree level for conferral of the Master’s. Students will remain in Master’s status until award of the Master’s degree. Upon award of the Master’s degree students will be automatically changed back to Doctoral status.

Leave of Absence (LOA)

A student requesting leave must complete the Leave of Absence Request form and obtain the approval of his or her Graduate Advisor who will forward the request to the Dean of Graduate Studies for final review and approval. Requests may be delivered to the Dean of Graduate Studies before or during any semester in which the student is not registered for courses. Requests must be received by the Dean of Graduate Studies no later than mid-semester in the semester in which the leave is to begin. Students suspended for academic or disciplinary reasons may not apply for a Leave of Absence. Students who are suspended for academic or disciplinary reasons prior to the start of a previously approved leave will become ineligible for that leave and all rules pertaining to enrollment requirements and readmission procedures for students absent without leave will apply.

A Leave of Absence will be granted only for good cause, such as health-related issues, major financial or employment issues, pregnancy, childbirth, child care, elder care or other significant family concerns, and other major personal circumstances that interfere with a student’s ability to undertake graduate study. Leaves are granted for up to two long semesters. Summer semesters do not count as part of a student’s approved leave. Students returning from leave as scheduled will be automatically readmitted and will not be required to submit an application or pay any application fees. Students who do not return at the end of their approved Leave of Absence must reapply for admission by published application deadlines, pay all relevant evaluation fees, and are not assured of readmission to the University.

An approved Leave of Absence does not exempt students from the enrollment requirements of other programs, offices and agencies such as the Veterans Administration, Immigration and Naturalization Service, and federal financial aid and certain loan programs. It is the student’s responsibility to determine what effect a Leave of Absence will have on his or her status with such entities. For example, International students approved for a Leave of Absence must inform the Office of International Education so that requirements of the Immigration and Naturalization Service can be addressed prior to withdrawing from classes.